Ewing TOWNSHIP HISTORIC PRESERVATION SOCIETY
The Benjamin Temple House
Look for our redesigned website coming soon!
Welcome to the Ewing Township Historic Preservation Society. Registered with the State of N.J. on July 20, 1972, the mission of ETHPS is to preserve and protect Ewing Township's historic houses, buildings and sites and to collect artifacts, books, photographs, manuscripts and related genealogy materials pertaining to the history of Ewing Township and the surrounding region. The society also presents occasional programs for the general public. Anyone is welcome to join the society. Annual membership is $15 for individuals and $25 per family per year. The society publishes a newsletter and meets on various dates ( see calendar of events ) at the Benjamin Temple House located in Drake Farm Park at 27 Federal City Road in Ewing, Mercer County, New Jersey 08638. Fax & voice 609-883-2455. New members are always welcome! Call 609-883-2455 and leave a message on the answering machine requesting a membership form or click here and print out a form to mail to us. Be sure to leave your your name and address.
Check the updated
calendar of events page.
Updated for January 2015.
Please visit our News page. Updated weekly!
Hours of the Benjamin Temple House Museum and Library are Wednesday, 10am - 2pm. Other times by appointment. Please call 883-2455 for further information.
The Benjamin Temple house is a sample of the Preservation Society's efforts. In 1973 this fine example of a colonial wood-frame farmhouse was saved from demolition and moved from Pennington Road to its present site where it now serves as the headquarters for the Ewing Township Historic Preservation Society. The Temple home houses the collections and offices of the Society and serves as a backdrop for historic lectures, events and other programs. The Benjamin Temple house is open to the public and researchers by appointment.
The Temple House was built circa 1750 by Benjamin Temple a prosperous farmer and one of the earliest settlers in the Ewing-Hopewell area. In about 1840 the western half of the house was added by Temple's descendants. The building is owned by the Township of Ewing and is maintained by the Ewing Historic Preservation Society. See the Benjamin Temple Family Research site for genealogical information about the Temple family.
Site designed and maintained by:
The Ewing Township Historic Preservation Society
©2001-2013 Ewing Township Historic Preservation Society